This is a full ignition system solution for Lambretta scooters. It provides answers to all the electrical problems associated with Lambretta ignitions. There is no other system on the market that covers all the technical benefits that are offered by this solution.
Please read the manual below to select your specification and build options.
NOTE: The Ebay parts prices in the manual are out of date.
Care and Maintenance
Tuning & performance
The Gran Turismo ignition system is a conversion of existing electronics and components from Aprilia RS125 (122 variant) motorbikes. In developing this ignition we have provided many technical benefits that have not been available to the Lambretta owner;
these include the following:
1. A genuine 180 watt 12VDC system.
2. A wiring new loom that can handle the power.
3. External pick-up.
4. Digital timing with auto advance and retard.
5. “Plug and play” power valve control “Rave” unit.
6. Easily adjustable ignition timing.
7. Integrated rev counter,
8. Integrated low fuel warning,
9. Digital clock.
10. Integrated volt meter.
11. Integrated lap counter.
12. Integrated water temp.
13. Options for water and air cooled engines.
14. Full, explanatory build manual and dimensioned drawings.
15. Extensive DIY options .
The Gran Turismo chain tensioner is designed and manufactured to resolve many of the technical issues associated with existing Lambretta products. The tensioner is designed to have the correct fit to the engine casing and be able to accommodate a wide range primary drive combinations.
The design of the tensioner assembly was specifically targeted to resolve technical issues such as:
1. Wide range of primary drive combinations
2. High quality UK manufacture
3. Replaceable wear components
4. Push / pull tensioning
5. Precise fit to engine casing
6. Lowest price universal tensioner available
To fully resolve all of these technical problems properly required the entire assembly to be re-considered from scratch. Every component was re evaluated from a new design and performance criteria.
1pcs Tensioner mounting plate, CNC machined aluminium
1pcs Tensioner wear shoe, injection moulded plastic
2pcs Custom machined shoe dowel fasteners
2pcs Hex, M6 bolts x long
2pcs Counter sunk, M6 socket heads x long
3. Pre-fitting preparation
The installation of this product will provide you with increased flexibility in primary drive selection. Please view the selection table below for recommended ratios, sizes and fitting positions.
In addition to the kit you will need:
1. Good tools
2. The correct length IWIS chain
3. A chain tension tab washer
Warning! Only use chains with riveted joining links (we recommend IWIS chain). Never use chains with loose or pinned joining links.
With the original chain and primary drive removed, re-assemble with the new chain tension
1. Loosely assemble the chain tensioner together so that the shoe is allowed to slide up and down.
2. Check and prepare the 2 M6 tensioner fixing holes in the casing. Use a drop of soft locking compound to prevent socket screws loosening.
3. Offer up and screw down the assembled tensioner assembly.
4. Fit the lay shaft primary drive shims where applicable.
5. Make sure the shoe is correctly positioned for your primary combination
6. Offer up and fit the primary drive and chain assembly.
7. Move the shoe to the correct tensioning position and tighten the M6 hex nuts
8. Torque range 2 .5 – 3.3 ft/lbs (30-40inch/lbs). These settings require a low range ¼” torque wrench.
9. The shoe dowel is designed to bite into the mounting plate and hold the wear shoe firm.
10. Turn the engine over a few times to check fit and clearance
11. Secure M6 hex nuts with the tab washer (not supplied)
12. The M6 counter sunk screws can have increased security by dot punching a small spot between the edge of the fastener and the mounting plate (the same technique used for securing drive side seal plates).
5. Care and maintenance
The tensioner needs no special care or maintenance procedures. Spare parts are available. Ensure you have the correct type and quantity of oil before running your engine. Do not over tighten your chain tensioner.
While every effort has been made to ensure that these instructions are accurate and concise, they are only intended as a guide for general fitting. Your machine may differ slightly from the one described and illustrated.
Granturismo accept no responsibility for any damage or injury caused by the fitting or use of a Granturismo equipment. For additional information please consult the Lambretta workshop manual or your dealer. If you feel that
you are insufficiently equipped to carry out the installation safely and correctly, we recommend you consult your nearest dealer before proceeding.
This conversion kit carries no type approvals. Verifying the legality of the installation for road use is solely the responsibility of the customer/rider
The simplest way to up rate your standard Lambretta clutch without breaking the bank.
These performance clutch springs are ground to length and manufactured in Birmingham to consistent production standards. The are made from heavier gauge wire than standard with a slightly longer “Free length” and higher Nmm rating than standard.
Inspect your existing clutch for wear and damage then fit as standard. The increase compressive pre-load helps increases the ability of the standard clutch to handle increased power from kitted engines.
These springs are not overly heavy, the spring weight is noticable but you don’t need to be a weight lifter and standard levers are perfectly usable with these springs. Good for 20 BHP, which covers the vast majority of kitted scooters.